My Beastiary  

Posted by JC Lamont

I love mythological creatures.

A winged unicorn is the creature one of my characters ride (the Prince/Captain of the army). It is pure white, and in my world, it is the only one of its kind.

My question is - what's it called? Is it a winged-unicorn? Or a horned pegasus?

Since Pegasus is the actual name of the Greek mythological winged horse, is there a name for the average winged horse? My other characters ride winged-horses (without the horn) which I call pegasus in the singular and pegasoi in the plural -- does this work? Sound dumb?

All the pegasoi are the same, though they have different markings, but they are a metallic amber with rubescent flecks and gold manes and when they are in flight, they conjure the illusion of flaming horses galloping across the sky.

My bad guys ride Khimara (yes, almost the correct pronunciation for the Greek Chimera & Khimari is the plural). They are mostly muted colors - brown, mahogany, black - and are horses with lion heads and serpent tails.

I also have winged-centaurs with scorpion tails, a musimon, breathing gargoyles, a mysterious 7-horned creature, a leviathan (sea serpent), and evil fanged-frogs. (I may have more, but i can't think of them off the top of my head.

My villain is obsessed with snakes -- he has carvings of them everywhere, and I've thought of giving him one as a pet, but since Rowling did that already, I'm hesitant to copy. Thus my villain only has his crow (and those pesky fanged-frogs that his mistress insisted he needed to bring life to his garden -- he'll be trying to scheme evil plots and their croaking about drives him mad).

This entry was posted on 23 October, 2008 at Thursday, October 23, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Wow! First, I love that picture. The all white....very appropriate for the hero, right?

Sweet! I'm sooo diggin' this.

October 23, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Shiny picture! I love it!
I don't know what you'd call it- I've often wondered. Pegacorn and Unisus are just stupid. :) Seriously, though, does it have a name? Since it is a one-of-a-kind creation, it doesn't need a breed name, like pegasus or khimara, because that would give the impression that there are/were more. A pegasus, a khimara, a pegacorn. But since it is completely unique, it can just have a name.

October 23, 2008 at 12:27 PM

The name idea is great -- it used to be Shiloh way back in 2nd draft, but then that had to change becuase the first captial city of my country is that name. And I never came up with another.

Duh to me -- all my fantasy names are from the Hebrew. I looked up unicorn in my concordance (yes, unicorn is in the King James).

The Hebrew spelling is Re'eym with a pronunication of Reh-ame (rhymes with name)

So the name will be: Raiym

Thanks!

October 23, 2008 at 5:07 PM

No prob- glad to help!
And yeah, I've seen Unicorn in there. Good times. Wonder if unicorn in the Bible is the same creature we think of when we say unicorn?

October 25, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Post a Comment